twitter

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Kerry: If Erdogan uses coup to erode democracy that'd be a great challenge to his relations to all of us

Secretary of State John Kerry joined Chuck Todd’s #MTP today to discuss the failed coup in Turkey. Here is transcript, made by me:

Kerry: If Erdogan uses coup to erode democracy that'd be a great challenge to his relations to all of us
Chuck Todd: Are you confident that Erdogan wont use this coup to gain more power and further erode democracy?
Sec Kerry: Well It’s very important that he doesnt do it obviously. That would be a great challenge to his relations to Europe, to NATO and to all of us. 

Kerry: We urged Turkey not to reach out too far
We have urged them not to reach out too far that they are creating doubts in their commitment to democratic process. I hope this wont result in that.

Kerry: I have no evidence or knowledge Gulen is involved w/coup attempt
Chuck Todd: Do you believe Fethullah Gülen is involved with coup attempt?
Kerry: I have no knowledge and I have no evidence at this time whatsoever. I talk to my Turkish counterparts three times within last day. I urged him compile evidence asap and provide us via channels. I pledge to him acc to extradition, our treaty legal process, standards we will immediately evaluate whether evidence is sufficient. They also need to go thru judicial process. They haven't done judicial process yet. There has to be accomponied by evidence, by demonstrated facts which would lead to court to accept extradition. We are not blocking it. We never received a request.

No comments: